Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Well, better late than never....

If I've learned anything this semester, it is that I am absolutely afwul at blogging.  But i'll try to catch things up a little bit anyways.
I survived Halloween in Galway!  The green nail polish is slowly chipping off and, even after some intensive scrubbing, I still have the faintest trace of the letters E-N-V-Y scrawled down my left arm.  Nice reminders of a good weekend, at any rate.  Halloween here is pretty much the same as at home.  The downtown scene was crowded with masses of- for the most part- very drunk people, and all the girls dressed in too-small costumes that give boys the wrong impression (or maybe it's dead on for some...).  The club we went to (Karma) was pretty packed by the end of the night, with a guy dressed up as a box of Crayola crayons taking up space on the dance floor and another one dressed as Jason (complete with fake chainsaw) successfully making space on the dance floor as he passed through sporadically.  All in all, it really was a good time.

On Friday I took a field trip with one of my archaeology classes.  We went out to Tara, which was beautiful and really cool to see. Unfortunately it was raining that day.  Pouring, in fact.  So we walked up and down those hills in the pouring rain for 3 hours.  I have never been so soggy in my entire life (and considering I live in Charleston, where it essentially monsoons during certain months of the year and the entire city turns into a small lake, that is seriously saying something).  I think my professor summed up the day pretty well when he said "If you can leave here without harboring any serious resentment towards Tara or myself, than we've at least accomplished something here today."  Writing this several days later (sitting warm and dry in my room) I can say easily enough that I don't resent Tara or my professor, so I guess it was a good enough day.  A necessary life experience, I think.

I know I'm working backwards here, but I can't update this blog without talking about the trip to London.  It was such a blast!  I went to the Tower of London, caught some great views from the Tower Bridge, saw Buckingham Palace, went to an absolutely amazing production of Chicago (and got to sit in the front row!), spent a couple of hours in the British Museum (so amazing), rode on the underground, and got to just wander around the city and soak up the sights.  There's so much to see and do there, I'd love to live there for a few months and get to know the city.  I'm sure I wouldn't survive in a city that big over the long term, but living there for a short time would be pretty amazing.

The fact that Halloween (and that field trip) are now behind me scares me a little bit.  I can't believe how quickly time is flying by!  I'm leave here December 18th, and it's already November!  I can't say that I don't miss home and Charleston because I really, really do.  There are just so many things that I want to fit into this semester, and now that my time is running out I'm determined to cram things in.  I don't want to go home disappointed, regretting something that I missed out on.  So hopefully I can motivate myself (despite the cold and the continuous rain) to do everything that I want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment