Friday, September 10, 2010

You learn something new every day.

Lesson 1:  The laundry machines here are combination washer/dryer.  They are very small, and not at all powerful.  You can't load the dryer too full, or it won't work.  And even then it takes several hours for your clothes to dry.  My room is currently covered in articles of clothing that are still drying (after doing the laundry last night).  Lesson learned.
Lesson 2:  Classes start 10 minutes late.  The timetables all have the classes running from hour to hour (1-2, 2-3, etc.), but in reality, the class slowly filters and the professors don't even bother to start teaching until 10 past.  So that's nice, and quite a relief since it takes almost 30 minutes to get from my apartment building to the building where I have classes every day.  Nice to know that I don't have to rush (and that I have time to go get a cup of coffee).  Lesson happily learned.
Lesson 3:  Everyone here goes home on the weekend. Everyone.  Every weekend.  They go home to work, and to get laundry done and meals cooked for them by their parents.  This is something I can't even wrap my head around.  Even if I lived close enough to go home for a weekend (9 hours each way somehow seems like too much of a long haul...), I don't think I would, and I definitely wouldn't go home EVERY weekend.   College is the most fun on the weekends!  That's when we go out, go get dinner with friends, go to the movies, go to the beach...all the fun stuff.  I would be so bummed if I missed any weekends in Charleston.  Instead, they do all of that good stuff on week nights (except going to the beach of course, because this is not Charleston, and there aren't 4 beaches within easy driving distance...ah well, what can you do?).  They stay out late (very, very late) on weeknights, and then somehow manage to get up for classes the next morning.  Lesson learned, the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment